Wednesday 17 April 2013

Avocado 'Caesar' Dressing

Probably my all-time favourite salad dressing has to be caesar! It has the perfect creamy tangyness everyone loves! Every recipe that I find for it (now I'm not talking about real caesar with the egg yolk and olive oil) has tons of fattening mayo. Now, while mayo does make it taste awesome and creamy, I always wonder if I could replace it with something a little healthier. After all, we are eating salad, right? 
Avocados are awesome. Yes, they're green and not mayo, but when blended up, they have a really nice creamy texture, perfect for salad dressings! Don't believe me? Try it for yourself! Also, I used light sour cream but you could easily sub with fat free or low fat plain Greek yogurt. Honestly, it's whatever you have in your house!
Also, caesar dressing usually has either anchovies or worcestershire sauce. I didn't have any in my house but next time, I would add a dash of worcestershire sauce to give it more of a salty tang. Ooh and one last thing, I put garlic powder when I made it, but I would try minced garlic (1 or 2 cloves) next time to give it more of a fresh kick. 
Now, be warned, you are using avocados which do have the tendency to brown, so it's not the kind of dressing you can make and store in the fridge for a few days. Trust me, I tried... Not the most appealing thing to look at. However, made fresh, this dressing is perfect! 

Avocado 'Caesar' Dressing:

Ingredients:
1/2 avocado
1/2 lemon, juiced
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (or nondairy sour cream)
1/8 cup milk/soymilk (or more to thin it out to your liking), optional
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, optional
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a medium bowl, mash or blend avocado until it's smooth. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients. If you are looking for more of a dip-like dressing, omit the milk. If adding the milk, pour it a little at a time until you are satisfied with the consistency. 
You can drizzle it on a bed of romaine lettuce with croutons and parmesan cheese on top! If you want to be fancy, you can use only non-dairy ingredients (if you keep kosher) and top it with sliced grilled chicken breast and avocado! Yum! Oh and I might be getting ahead of myself but... if you fry pastrami and cut it up, you have yourself a chicken avocado caesar salad with 'bacon'! Booya! Oh the possibilities... 



2 comments:

  1. sounds delicious and healthy! can't wait to try this thanks for a great recipe! looking forward to your future blog posts... xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm working on them :P

      Delete