Sunday 12 May 2013

Garlicky Chummus

Wow, I've been busy in May with no time to post! School's gotten the best of me, I suppose... Well, no excuses, right? I made a Shabbat dinner last week for 30+ people, and my job was salads and desserts. Of course, I never give myself an easy time with things; I need to make everything from scratch and it HAS to be complicated. This recipe happens not to be complicated but everyone loves it and are shocked that it's not store bought. Come on, everybody does it; I should conform at some point, right? Never! Making chummus at home is cheaper, for one.  You also get so much more out of the recipe than a tiny store bought container, and it tastes ten times better! I got this recipe for chummus from my friend's Israeli/Iraqi mother, it's authentic and amazing. It is spicy, but you can adjust the level depending on how much garlic you decide to put. It goes well with everything, especially with other salads and fresh challah. I might just share that recipe with you too (at some point). There's also room (as with every other recipe of mine) to variate on ingredients. I've tried putting white beans, avocados and kale (not all at once but I'm sure that would be interesting). I've also heard of sweet potato chummus! The possibilities are endless!

Garlicky Chummus:
Anat's Recipe

1 28 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 jar tehina paste
4-5 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and whole
couple squeezes of lemon juice (to taste)
salt (to taste)

In a food processor, blend chickpeas with tehina, garlic and lemon juice, and slowly add in 1 glass of cold water, until it's the consistency you like. Blend until smooth. Add salt to taste! Plate it with a spoonful of schug (spicy chili paste), drizzle with good quality olive oil, and sprinkle with zaatar- in that order. 


                                                                    It's so pretty!!!
                                                                   My babies!!! 
Pictured here, which might be featured as recipes soon are, starting from the top left: Moroccan carrots, babaghanoush, beet salad, Italian bean salad, matbucha, and oh popcorn which I have an extremely addictive recipe for. 
ALL homemade and quite healthy if I may add!!! STAY TUNED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment